The Director of Business Development and Client Services reports to the Chief Marketing Officer (“CMO”), identifies and supervises marketing and business development staff throughout the firm’s 15 offices and provides professional development and training opportunities for the department. Provides strategic direction for technology initiatives including the CRM, experience management database and department intranet; identifies and executes initiatives to facilitate cross-selling opportunities and promote awareness of firm-wide capabilities; provides strategic direction for Business Intelligence and Competitive Intelligence initiatives and directs workflow and resource issues, including developing and executing effective project management practices. Develops and manages the department’s budget and regular reporting mechanisms to inform the CMO and other members of management of key results, including Return on Investment (“ROI”) and identifies and manages consultants, as appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with the CMO to manage a strong, efficient, research-driven, and proactive marketing and business development team.
• Evaluate and strengthen department processes and oversee workflow to promote efficiencies.
• Identify vehicles for sharing substantive practice knowledge and practice initiatives among Department members and promoting best practices.
• Collect feedback to identify avenues for enhancing the level and nature of marketing and business development support provided firm-wide.
• Develop processes for analyzing and reporting on ROI associated with the Department’s efforts.
• Analyze annual business plans to identify shared objectives and initiatives.
• Provide strategic direction for Competitive Intelligence and Business Intelligence initiatives.
• Work with business development managers to provide business and client development skills training for all of the firm’s lawyers.
• Work with the CMO to execute a key client program.
• In collaboration with the business development managers, implement best practices to capture data, promote utilization and integrate the firm’s CRM into business development initiatives.
• Provide strategic direction for upgrade of the firm’s experience management database and develop processes to code and capture data.
• Work with the Business Development Managers to develop and implement best practices for responding to RFPs, including collaboration with Finance and other departments to provide experience/data critical to these efforts.
• Consistent with the firm’s strategic plan, develop annual goals for the Marketing and Client Services Department.
• Work with members of the Department to establish and assess progress toward individual goals.
• In collaboration with the CMO, develop the Marketing and Business Development budget and mechanisms for assessing the efficacy of major investments.
• Identify and implement training and professional development opportunities for members of the Marketing and Client Relations Department.
• Oversee firm-wide initiatives, including the Women’s Forum and the Alumni Program.
• Other special projects as requested by the CMO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong strategic business development background, with experience initiating successful business development initiatives.
• Broad experience including branding, marketing research, competitive and business intelligence, RFP response preparation, CRM solutions, seminar/event planning, and legal directory submission process.
• Demonstrated understanding of and experience with diverse database and software solutions.
• Strong leadership, organizational, and team building skills.
• Sound business judgment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Focused and detail oriented.
• Strong project and process management experience
• Highly motivated, persuasive, priority-driven, and collaborative.
• Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and perform well under pressure.
Education and/or Experience:
• 10 years of marketing experience, including a minimum of five years in a professional services environment. Law firm experience required.
• Five years of demonstrated experience managing marketing and business development operations
• College degree required, plus any combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
This position description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. The statements contained in the position description are not necessarily all-inclusive and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as determined by business needs.
This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If interested in applying for this opportunity, please click “apply online” at the end of this page. EOE