The Sr. Manager of Knowledge Management and Library Services is responsible for the management of the multi-faceted functions of library and research services as well as establishing and directing the Knowledge Management program of the firm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage project portfolio for firm wide Knowledge Management strategic initiatives, process improvement projects, and product management.
• Responsible for the development, deployment, adoption, and continuous improvement of the firm’s portal (Intranet).
• Responsible for the knowledge management strategic plan, ensuring knowledge sharing and collaboration across the firm, leveraging industry leading products and processes.
• Lead the development and implementation of a Technology and Information Services pro bono program, working in collaboration with a host organization to determine specific tasks and priorities.
• Provide strategic advice, content expertise, and legal process analysis in defining legal practice application solutions.
• Oversee the implementation of effective, efficient, and timely, high quality manual and electronic research for the lawyers of the firm.
• Responsible for hiring, supervising, evaluating, and coaching library staff.
• Manage and/or participate in firm-wide Library Services projects.
• Oversee the development and maintenance of the firm’s library collection and participates in the evaluation of both paper and electronic resources.
• Assist in the development of the budget, manage the budget for the department, and provide budget variance explanations and forecasting expenditures.
• Responsible for the training of lawyers, paralegals and staff in the use of information resources, including the development of presentations that aspire to provide information and training on relevant resources.
• Direct the orientation process for new attorneys and paralegals in regard to using research services and managing knowledge.
• Direct all work with vendors and firm staff in resolving technical issues with library information resources.
• Identify new or more cost effective ways to accomplish research tasks.
• Proactively seek input from the lawyers and paralegals to identify helpful services and resources of value to assist in the efficient and effective delivery of services to firm clients.
• Coordinate and work with other departments to provide information and knowledge resources in support of firm needs.
• Coordinate the development of databases that combine the existing firm work product and information assets and, where applicable, external information products, and assist with implementation of appropriate processes, systems, etc.
• Facilitate teamwork among the department’s staff in all offices and create an environment that accepts change and promotes collaboration.
• Responsible for hiring, supervising, evaluating, and mentoring staff for all Library Services and knowledge management support staff in the firm.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to keep current with new developments and adapt to change.
• Ability to effectively instruct in the use of a variety of print and electronic resources and presentations on information resources.
• Ability to manage multi-faceted functions of a law library in a cost effective manner.
• Ability to use analytical decision making skills to analyze issues, establish priorities, offer options, anticipate consequences, and resolve problems in a variety of contexts.
• Ability to create strategies for research projects.
• Extensive knowledge of library research tools using diverse and changing applications; ability to effectively instruct in the use of a variety of print and electronic resources and presentations on information resources.
• Organizational skills sufficient to prioritize work and complete assignments accurately, either independently or as part of a team, under pressure of competing deadlines and with frequent interruptions, working from one’s own initiative and/or following direction, policies, or procedures.
• Ability to identify customer needs and maintain and support a customer service philosophy.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
• Strong verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as a resource for, provide customer service in a courteous manner to, and work effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization.
• Demonstrated supervisory skills, including hiring, mentoring, assigning work, motivating, and managing the performance of a department.
Education and/or Experience:
• B.A. or B.S. degree. J.D. or a Master’s degree is ideal.
• Five (5) or more years of supervisory or management experience in the field of knowledge management and/or library services.
This position description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. The statements contained in the position description are not necessarily all-inclusive and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as determined by business needs.
This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If interested in applying for this opportunity, please click “apply online” at the end of this page. EOE